Jörn Ahrens, Dr. phil. habil., is „Privatdozent“ at the Institute of Cultural Studies at Humboldt-University, Berlin.
Currently he is Visiting Professor in Sociology at the University of Giessen.
- 1989-1995 studies in Social Sciences at the University of Oldenburg
- 1999 PhD in Sociology at Free University Berlin
- 2000-2002 Postdoctoral Fellow at the Graduate School „Codierung von Gewalt im medialen Wandel“[„Codifying Violence within Media Change“] at Humboldt-University, Berlin
- 2002-2003 Researcher for „Yad Vashem“, Jerusalem
- 2003-2005 Reasearch Grant by the German Research Association (DFG) at Humboldt-University, Berlin
- 2005-2006 Feodor Lynen Stipend by the Alexander von Humboldt-Foundation and Visiting Scholar at the Center for Comparative Media Studies, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- 2006 Habilitation in Cultural Studies & Cultural Sociology at Humboldt-University, Berlin
- 2007 Senior Lecturer for the „Euroculture“-program at the University of Göttingen
- 2008-2009 Visiting Professor in Cultural Sociology at the University of Giessen
Winter 2009/10 Visiting Professor for the General Comparison of Societies at the University of Giessen
- since Summer 2010 Visiting Professor for General Sociology at the University of Giessen